Agile Data Warehouse Design is a step-by-step guide for capturing data warehousing/business intelligence (DW/BI) requirements and turning them into high performance dimensional models in the most direct way: by modelstorming (data modeling + brainstorming) with BI stakeholders.
It describes BEAM✲, an agile approach to dimensional modeling, for improving communication between data warehouse designers, BI stakeholders and the whole DW/BI development team. BEAM✲ provides tools and techniques that will encourage DW/BI designers and developers to move away from their keyboards and entity relationship based tools and model interactively with their colleagues.
The result is everyone thinks dimensionally from the outset! Developers understand how to efficiently implement dimensional modeling solutions. Business stakeholders feel ownership of the data warehouse they have created, and can already imagine how they will use it to answer their business questions.
- Agile dimensional modeling using Business Event Analysis & Modeling (BEAM✲)
- Modelstorming: data modeling that is quicker, more inclusive, more productive, and frankly more fun!
- Telling dimensional data stories using the 7Ws (who, what, when, where, how many, why andhow)
- Modeling by example, not abstraction; using data story themes, not crow’s feet, to describe detail
- Storyboarding the data warehouse to discover conformed dimensions and plan iterative development
- Visual modeling: sketching timelines, charts and grids to model complex process measurement – simply
- Agile design documentation: enhancing star schemas with BEAM✲ dimensional shorthand notation
- Solving difficult DW/BI performance and usability problems with proven dimensional design patterns